Saturday, March 26, 2005
On this day:

 
Miss American Pie
Last Saturday night, Kelli threw me a citizenship dinner at her house. Various emails were exchanged about the event. I would have really liked to bring some small items to the party, but Kelli didn't want me to go through the trouble. I had no idea what was planned or what we are all doing. So this was what they were all up to.

The only thing I know was that I was to show up at 2:30 because Aidan has a baseball practice at 3:00pm. I planned to bring my long lens camera to take some action shots. It should be cool. Well, knowing me, I was somehow running late, I guess. No one was home when I showed up at the door at 2:10. I might have gotten the time wrong, or whatever. I also know they will be back at about 4:30pm, so I window shopped downtown Los Gatos. A pretty trendy downtown, with a lot of expensive stores. Window shop was all I can do.

Little did I know, baseball was in the whole scheme of things. To commemorate me becoming an US citizen, they created an All-American Faire. When I showed up at Kelli's at 4:30, she was busy in the kitchen, making two Apple Pies, from scratch. At this moment I was still rather clueless. I rolled up my sleeves and doved in to peeling apples and rolling out doughs. Next Maribel and Steve showed up with dinner ingredients. They bought all-american, old-fashioned Hot Dogs. Okay, now I see the pattern. So we are having a good old American dinner. Appetizer was Nachos with Velveeta cheese. Then Bob and Yvette showed up with KFC hot wings. Hot Dogs were served with Chili, relishes and onions. Good god, we are celebrating American culture. Bless their hearts though, at least they have enough class to not serve me Budweiser. Mainly because they couldn't see themselves drinking it also. They graciously provided Sierra Neveda instead.

After dinner, the tables were cleared for Easter egg decorating, for Sunday is Easter. Another western custom. After that came entertainment by the kids. Grant sang "Yankee Doddle Dandy", everyone sang "America the Beautiful". And during dessert, Danielle and Sarah sang "Miss American Pie". Well, short verses of it. They also included Weird Al's Star Wars version of it. Very funny indeed.

Kelli went out of her way to buy some gifts. She had a bumper sticker with "Proud to be an American", a box of Hostess cupcakes I have never had and an American flag. True to American economic model of out sourcing everything, this American flag proudly displayed a sticker "Made in China" on it. Ha, ha, funny. Nothing is made in US of A anymore, not even it's own flag.

Well, it was a fun evening overall. Creatively planned and thought out. What a great bunch of friends!! Oh, I would have loved to have made it to the baseball game now I see the whole scheme of things. The evening wasn't made any less because of it though.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home
Gloria Chen Nickname: Turtle
Location:

My mood when I posted

The current mood of gloturtle at www.imood.com



Currectly Reading

  • Cost of the War in Iraq
  • (JavaScript Error)

    Archives

    Guest

    This page is powered by Blogger.

    Listed on BlogShares